Saturday, May 25, 2013
Chinese Almond Cookies
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Sift flour, salt and baking soda
3. Combine all the ingredients and mix till it forms a dough.
4. Roll the dough into balls about the size of large marbles
5. Place them on cookie sheets about one and a half inches apart.
6. Indent the center of the cookie using the back of a chopstick that has been dipped into red food coloring. Press down about halfway through the thickness of the cookie. Alternately, you can put a half slice of almond in the center in place of the red food coloring.
Chinese Almond Cookies ready to bake
7. Bake 10-15 minutes till the cookies are just lightly golden brown around the edges.
8. Transfer to wire rack and cool.
Posted by Patti at 8:00 AM