Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Nellie: Southern Baked Beans

I tend not to measure ingredients because I was taught to just eye-ball it [maybe why I can't bake], but I'm going to try to provide a good estimate.  You can always add a little more of this or that to change the flavor.
 

Ingredients:

3 (regular) cans of pork & beans
             (doesn't matter who makes them)
1/2 pound of bacon, chopped into bite size pieces
             (my mother used to put strips of bacon across the top instead, either way works great)
1 small onion, chopped up
2/3 of one of the p&b cans full of maple syrup
             (more if you like 'em sweet)
1 of the p&b cans full of ketchup
1 teaspoon of mustard
2 heaping tablespoons of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 chopped jalapeno or a tablespoon of red chili flakes (can be omitted)



Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Throw everything in the baking dish and stir it around till it mostly mixed  up -- or you can mess up an additional bowl if you're worried, but by the time this bakes, and you've stirred it a couple of times during the process, things should be evenly distributed.

Bake uncovered.

The baking time depends on how thick you like your baked beans.  I would check them every 15 minutes.  The ones I make usually take about an hour to bake.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment